15.5 g gypsum (calcium sulfate)
3.25 g epsom salt (magnesium sulfate)
3 g slaked lime (calcium hydroxide)
2.75 g baking soda
2.75 g chalk (calcium carbonate)
2.5 g calcium chloride
2.5 g magnesium chloride
2.5 g sea salt (sodium chloride)
- Using a kitchen scale that can read a hundredth of a gram (0.01), measure out each of the ingredients by weight. The minerals will likely be all different sizes ranging from fine powders to large granules. Powder everything in an electric spice grinder or manually with a mortar & pestle. You want the minerals to be as fine as possible for easier dissolution when you add it to water.
- The powdered minerals will keep indefinitely in an airtight container.
- To make a bottle of Topo Chico-like mineral water, add 1 slightly rounded 1/8 tsp per liter bottle.
- Fill your bottle with cold water to the max fill mark. Give it a gentle swirl to ensure the minerals dissolve evenly.
- Attach the bottle to your carbonation device (Drinkmate, SodaStream, etc.) and carbonate according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Fizz, sip and enjoy! ♥