50 g tallow
2.5 g cera bellina or beeswax
3.5 g magnesium hydroxide
10 drops peppermint essential oil
- Using a scale that displays up to two decimal places, weigh the tallow, cera bellina wax and cetyl alcohol into a glass jar or borosilicate lab beaker.
- Heat over a double boiler (or other gentle heat source) until the oils and waxes are completely melted and liquid.
- Add remaining ingredients in the order listed, and stir until combined and smooth.
- Pour into your 2-ounce glass jar or deodorant tube. If using a twist tube, you can prevent a “sinkhole” from forming by filling the tube about 4/5s full, and allowing it to set for 20-30 seconds before topping up. You may need to return your mixture to your heat source while you wait, so it doesn’t solidify too much to pour.
- Allow to cool before capping. You don’t want condensation introducing water into your formula. ♥
I recommend glass containers for storing homemade lotions and potions. Glass doesn’t leach chemicals and it’s easier to clean/sterilize after the product is used up and you’re ready to refill.
If you do choose to use a plastic container, be aware that essential oils tend to react with plastic, so even if you can get it “clean,” your container will likely not be reusable.