1 1/2 lb precooked beets (I used slightly more than two 8.8 oz packages of Love Beets)
1/4 c live sauerkraut brine (or brine from other live vegetable ferment)
1 tsp black peppercorns
3–4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 bay leaf
- Cut precooked beets into 1″ cubes, and fill a 1-quart mason jar to just below the threads.
- Add salt, spices and sauerkraut juice; fill the rest of the way with filtered, non-chlorinated water, leaving approx. 1″ of head space.
- Use a fermentation weight to hold the beets beneath the brine.
- Cover jar with an airtight lid or an airlock. If you choose not to use an airlock, be sure to “burp” the jar daily to prevent too much pressure buildup.
- Place the jar in a shallow bowl or tray to catch any potential overflow and let it ferment at room temperature for 3 days before transferring to cold storage. If your kitchen is on the cooler side, the ferment may take a bit longer.